The Grand Canyon, one of the world’s seven natural wonders, is 277 miles long, as much as 18 miles wide, and over a mile deep. It is beautiful and awe inspiring to see, so it is no wonder that it attracts more than five million visitors from all around the world every year. It is impossible to capture the grandeur of the Grand Canyon in pictures, but when seen from the air, it is amazing to behold just how large and captivating it truly is.
Here are some interesting facts about the history and geography of the Grand Canyon:
- John Wesley Powell coined the term “Grand Canyon” in 1871. Previously the Grand Canyon had been referred to as “Big Canyon.”
- In 1919 the Grand Canyon was make a National Park by President Woodrow Wilson.
- There is some debate as to how the Grand Canyon was formed. Some research shows that several previous canyons (some dating back to 55 million years ago) joined to form what is now the Grand Canyon. Other parts of the Grand Canyon were likely formed starting 17 million years ago by the Colorado River, which continues to carve out the bottom of the canyon to this day.
- The bottom of the canyon is composed of granite and schist rock. On top of that is a layer of limestone, sandstone and shale. The Canyon’s walls are made of more limestone, freshwater shale and cemented sandstone. Almost 2 billion years of earth’s history is revealed through these rocks (that’s more than 40%!).
- These layers of rock form the beautiful colors of the Grand Canyon: red, orange, yellow, white and even purple.
- The Grand Canyon consists of National Park Land and adjoins Hualapai, Havasupai and Navajo Indian Reservations.
- The oldest human artifacts found in the Grand Canyon date back to 12,000 years ago.
- Fossils that have been found are mostly primitive algae and marine species such as coral and mollusks.
- The Grand Canyon is still being explored and new things are being learned and discovered.
See this breathtaking natural wonder with a small, family owned company who provides a once in a lifetime experience. Serenity Helicopters has unrivaled guest services, just ask them!
“The views of the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead were wonderful, but when we went into the Grand Canyon I was immediately overwhelmed and became a bit emotional. The sheer magnitude of size and beauty was breathtaking. I felt so privileged to get to experience the Grand Canyon for the first time this way. We got to touch down and walk around while having a yummy simple snack for about 30 minutes before returning. My husband and I knew that nothing we saw in Vegas could impress us after our trip with Serenity. ” – cheval30
“This is a not to be missed trip when visiting Vegas. The customer service from Serenity was excellent. Pick up from the hotel and transport to Boulder City. This company is the only family one left running these trips, and as such the service was first class. Our pilot Mad Dog was very entertaining and informative and the lunch when we touched down in the Grand Canyon made the trip.” – Paula W
“I highly recommend this once in a lifetime, unbelievable experience!! The views over the Grand Canyon were unreal! UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE!!” – SteveJov
“If you are looking for your “once in a lifetime” experience – do a helicopter tour. If you also want really friendly and personal service where you are treated as VIP’s – choose Serenity Helicopters.” – Michael M
“If anyone is thinking of doing a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon – this is the tour company for you! First Class. Top Quality. And service with a smile! This company truly owns up to its name – Serenity Helicopter Tours! We left our day feeling on top of the world!! Flying over the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead, landing 4000′ into the Canyon for a picnic and a drink, all with the most amazing soundtrack playing in your headset … WOW! Could not ask for anything more!! Pick up and drop off, at your hotel in luxury … Serenity Helicopter Tours made my Vegas trip! Cole was an awesome pilot and all of the staff, from the driver to the airport crew were AWESOME!! My only regret – I can only give 5 stars. Wish I could give more! This company does not disappoint.” – DancEastDiva
“Great tour with pilot Mad Dog giving a guided tour of the area and the helicopter. Great company, providing personality and a small company feel. It was a great flight with amazing views and a nice relatively private landing spot (only 2 helicopters, 12 people in total, as compared to other operators with multiple helicopters in small areas nearby).” – Carl-Johan W
“My four girlfriends and I are blown away with such an awesome experience. Everything was perfect. Our pilot Brett was amazing. He talked us through the whole ride explaining the history of the Grand Canyon and surrounding areas and answered all of our questions. The Grand Canyon itself is mind-blowingly beautiful. The helicopter ride was smooth and so much fun. I would 100% recommend this experience to anyone and everyone! Thanks again for an amazing experience we will never forget.” – Madeleine1993
Book your tour online now, or call 888-589-7701 if you have any questions. We would be happy to help you plan your perfect trip!